How to use the "IR Learning" Function
Some of the Air Mice we sell here at DroiX support something known as "IR Learning". IR Learning is a process wherein a remote "learns" the infrared code of an existing remote, allowing it to interact with a device without the need to be connected via additional means (i.e., Bluetooth, a USB dongle).
Remote Pairing Types
There are three main types of ways a remote will wirelessly connect to an android box:
- Wireless 2.4GHz - typically requires a USB dongle to be inserted into the box. Ubiquitous; doesn't really require anything special.
- Bluetooth - Requires explicit Bluetooth compatibility. Needs to be connected via the Bluetooth settings of the device. Commonly used for communications
- Infrared - The remote sends various signals using a "code" that a device is hard-wired to constantly listen out for.
Of the three, IR is generally the cheapest to facilitate as it is the most "low-tech" option (infrared technology is many, many decades old) and only requires the inclusion of a basic transceiver in the remote and box. Compared to 2.4GHz, which requires a dongle (that can be lost/damaged), or Bluetooth, which requires more expensive (yet more powerful) components.
Most contemporary android boxes will come with a very cheap IR remote that provides the barest of functionality. For this reason, we'd suggest purchasing a dedicated one if you're more of a power-user. We sell a variety here:https://droix.co.uk/product-category/tv-and-home-cinema/accessories/
The main purpose of this is IR Learning is to enable Air Mice to use the power functions of the remote through an IR transmitter, allowing you to power the box on and off freely.
In most cases, remotes may be able to power off a device, but they will not be able to power it on. This is because the remote will transmit the power-down command through their Wi Fi Dongle or Bluetooth connection. When the device is off, neither of these components have power, and thus nothing happens.
Infrared receivers are always listening however. With the caveat being their short range and vulnerability to interference.
With that out of the way, let's continue...
IR Learning for G10 Air Mouse
- Press and hold the power button on the G10 Air Mouse for about 5-8 seconds. The the power light will then turn off, and begin to flash rapidly once you let go of the button. The remote is now in pairing mode.
- Point the IR remote you wish to copy the IR code for at the G10, and press the power button on the IR remote.
- The power light on the G10 will flash briefly, then resume flashing slowly. This indicates that it has now learned the IR code.
To forget the IR code, hold the "OK" (the button between the 4 directional keys) and the "DEL" button for about 5-8 seconds until the light flashes extremely fast. The IR code will then be forgotten.
IR Learning for G10B Air Mouse
The procedure is the same as the G10, except you hold the Play/Pause button to exit IR Learning mode.
IR Learning For MX3/MX3-L Air Mouse
- Hold the TV button in the bottom-left corner of the remote until the power light begins to flash rapidly. Then release it. The power light will then begin to flash at a moderate pace.
- On the IR remote you wish to learn the IR code from, point the head of the IR remote at the head of the MX3/L. Make sure it is very close (around 0.5cm).
- Press and hold the power button on the IR remote until the power light on the MX3/L stops flashing.
- Press the power button on the MX3-L. The power light will then resume flashing at a moderate pace, indicating that the IR code has been learned.
- This process can be repeated with the four colour buttons at the bottom of the MX3/L, so if your IR remote has colour buttons, you can clone those as well via the same method as above.
- Once finished with the IR learning process, press the TV button on the MX3/L. The power light will begin to flash slowly, indicating you have exited IR mode.
To completely reset the remote and remove - not overwrite - all learned IR codes/, hold the TV and DEL keys until the power light stops flashing, then release them. The power light will now flash slowly indicating you have been successful.
IR Learning For MX9 Air Mouse
- Press and hold the HOME key and the red power key (bottom left). Both the red and blue LEDs will flash. Hold the buttons until they stop flashing
- On the IR remote you wish to learn the IR code from, point the head of the IR remote at the head of the MX9. Make sure it is very close (around 0.5cm).
- Press and hold the power button on the IR remote until the power light on the MX3-L stops flashing.
It is not currently known how to reset the MX9.
Please sign in to leave a comment.